From Spanish Fork Utah Stake History 1980, “Canyon Ward” p. 132
Description of Clinton (Birdseye) Branch in Church Records by Andrew Jensen.
“Clinton Branch consisted of the Latter-day Saints residing on Thistle Creek and its tributaries between Thistle creek station on the D&RG Railroad on the north and Indianola (Sanpete County), on the south. The small settlement consisted of a few families who resided in scattered condition along Thistle Creek, and some of its small tributaries in the narrow valley or canyon which at the particular point constitutes on opening in the mountains, at the junction of Bennie Creek. The location is within the boundaries of Utah County, Utah. The center of the branch, or the place where the schoolhouse is situated at the junction of Bennie Creek, is about six miles south of Thistle Station, twenty-five miles south of Provo, nine miles north o Indianola, Sanpete County, twenty-five miles north of Fairview, Sanpete County, and seventy-three miles south-east of Salt Lake City. Nearly all the inhabitants were farmers and the only other industry in the settlement is a water-powered saw mill.”
“The so-called lower Thistle Valley extends as far down as to the point where Bennie Creek empties into the Thistle; below that point there is a continuous canyon extending to Thistle on the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad.”
While Indianola was included in the description cited above, it was not a part of Clinton Branch. However, many of the members included in the branch south of the McKean farm attended meetings at Indianola. These members began attending meetings at Clinton in the early 1920’s.
In December 1890, Henry Elmer and family located at Clinton. There were approximately fifty families living in the area, but were not all Mormons.
Special meetings were held at Clinton July ninth and tenth, 1892, attended by Elder David john of the Utah Stake, President James E. Daniels, and others. Elder John, who was surprised to find so many Latter-day Saints at Clinton, suggested the organization of a branch of the Church and a Sunday School, a suggestion which met with favor on the part of all present. . . . A branch organization, called Clinton, was effected with Henry Elmer as presiding elder and John T. Moore as his first counselor.